The Federation of Northumberland Development Trusts (FONDT) was set up in 2002 with the aims of:
- working together with partners to create vibrant, inclusive and sustainable communities in Northumberland
- supporting and encouraging the establishment of a development trust in every community throughout Northumberland
- providing a united voice for community based regeneration in Northumberland, regionally, nationally and internationally through the Development Trusts Association network
- facilitating trust to trust working, supporting networking and encouraging larger trusts to support smaller and emerging trusts
- providing a lobbying and advocating role for member trusts
- providing development support and services to member trusts
- championing the work of development trusts and promoting their activities.